Tuesday, June 1, 2010

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

My 10th std results were not excellent, but they were not good enough to get me into a science group. I agreed and accepted to take up commerce. Would I have fancied a science group if I had scored well ? I don't know is the answer. So, after having finished schooling with a commerce background, I was wondering what next.

I wanted to do something different, become a star and shine and not let my academic figures affect my desires. I decided to do my BBM and then pursue MBA and also join a NIIT course like my brother who fared well in it.

Simultaneously there was something more exiting happening in my life, more that what I had expected it to be. My dad had asked me to apply for Hotel Management and like a good daughter I agreed to put my leg into it. I wasn't sure what I was getting into, but I was happy only because I was doing something different.

On the day of the entrance exam my dad dropped me to the examination centre and picked me up after 3 hrs.Oh no I wasn't a pampered kid, he only did that because I know my way to the centre, it was a Sunday and I guess appa was more excited for me than I was.

Within a months time I was intimated that I got selected for the next round in Chennai. Amma travelled with me to Chennai, I was wearing a Peach kurta with a parallel bottom pyjama. The panel asked me What is Coimbatore famous for ? I mumbled some thing that I cant remember now. The panellist called my city "The Manchester of India". After a few more general knowledge questions my Interview finished swiftly.

A month later I got to know I was selected, I was happy, more than me my mom and dad were. On a hot scorching afternoon of May Appa along with me, my bed and baggage landed into the hostel of IHM- Chennai.

Diana Suresh is the first girl I met in my hostel. New place, new life and a new beginning. I was scared and nervous but I lived every moment of it,even then I dint know if it was right place for me but now looking back, I am glad I decided to walk the road that was less travelled.

No comments: