Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What's your favorite poem?

English classes was my favourite classes and our English teacher Girija Miss being my favourite, as I type her name my mind wonders where she would be now.

Although I am not a great poem person, there are 2 poems that remains close to my heart from my childhood days.

The Solitary Reaper by William Wordsworth

Who starts of saying

BEHOLD her, single in the field,
Yon solitary Highland Lass!
Reaping and singing by herself;
Stop here, or gently pass!
Alone she cuts and binds the grain,
And sings a melancholy strain;
O listen! for the Vale profound
Is overflowing with the sound.

Unable to understand what she sings he says

Will no one tell me what she sings?
Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
For old, unhappy, far-off things,
And battles long ago


and finally he says

The music in my heart I bore,
Long after it was heard no more.

Every time I read this poem I picture the poet sitting by the green paddy fields, under clear blue sky and listen to a women calling out verses in her own language just to keep her going through the day, just like our farmers in the villages.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Although these are the ending verses of the poem, I see myself in these verses, I have always felt that in my life I have travelled the road less travelled and that has made the difference in my life.

Apart from loving these poems from my childhood days, I also enjoy reading poems written by writers who are not so famous. And finally of late I am enjoying every bit of what my cousin A writes.

2 comments:

Priya Shankar said...

Hi Srividya, Just stumbled on your blog and wanted to commment :) My favorite poem is I am restless by Rabindranath Tagore. Thanks for shaaring your thoughts and looking forward to reading more of them!

Srividya Padmanabhan said...

Hey Thanks for stopping by :) I some ho have never read Tagore's poem I guess need to start them